![]() |
| Windows for the Browning Gun Building |
![]() |
| Glazing windows |
The replacement of the above mentioned items is not the only thing we do in the cabinet shop. Those are on going projects as I have already mentioned that are done in between other required projects. We make repairs to anything that is made of wood as well as make new items that may be needed for other projects. We also make moldings, furniture, cabinets and most anything required. We also do projects for the temple.
Some of my first projects were those of windows and shutters. Since these projects are on going, they will not be completed before we finish our mission here in Nauvoo. My part in window making has been to cut and mount the glass, glaze the glass and after they are painted I install them.
![]() |
| Routing grooves using jig for hand made slats |
In making shutters, I cut and mill all the pieces including the slats from rough cut African Mahogany, route the grooves for the slats, assemble them and finish sanding them so that the paint shop can then paint them. After they are painted, I install them.
![]() |
| Assembling and gluing shutter |
![]() |
| Finished shutter for one of the smaller windows |
We have several homes in Nauvoo that have shutters. The Coolidge Home for which I have been making shutters has 23 windows. I have also made shutters for some of the windows on the Carthage Visitors Center.
![]() |
The photo to the right is a view of the Coolidge Home looking at the west and south sides. You can see the number of shutters on the home. The five windows on the upstairs, west side still have to be made and installed.

The picture on the left is a rear view of the Coolidge Home looking at the east and north sides. This home is not a home for tours but is a residence for two missionary couples, one upstairs and one on the main floor.





